D.R. Electric History

Antique Refrigerator

In 1920 William Owen Richards started his business producing farm electrification by using a windmill at his farm in Howell, Michigan.

Percy Richards took over in 1948 and continued to run the family business until his death in 1962. The business was then sold to Percy’s cousin, Delmar Richards in 1963 and reopended with the name D.R. Electric.Richards Electric opened their downtown store in 1925 selling farm electrification systems, ice boxes, and dry battery radios to the farmers. William’s son Percy later attended electrical school and returned home to partner in the business with his father.

In 1977 Delmar turned over the day to day operations of the family store to his son Kurt Richards who has maintained the tradition of offering household appliances, and quality repair and electrical services to their dedicated customers for over 50 years.

In 2013 the Mayor of Howell Michigan recognized the Richards family for their Family Business legacy, as well as their service and contributions to the Howell community. During that same year the State of Michigan honored D.R. Electric with the Heritage Business Award for all that they had accomplished in serving the community over the last 93 years. Also, a long standing member of the Howell Chamber of Commerce.

Mayoral Proclamation               Photo of  Delmar Richards Founder of the company               State of Michigan Special Tribute